Everyone loves a good roast of silverside. As a matter of fact, this one is so simple and easy to cook for the family meal that it will become a staple in the household!
Silverside For Me
I have always loved my meat growing up. It was the first thing on my plate to be devoured. This dish is no different. When it’s cooked in our household, there is never any leftovers no matter how big the piece of meat is! It’s versatile if you do manage to keep leftovers as it can be eaten hot or cold so it’s great for colder weather as well as warmer weather.
Origin Of Silverside
Silverside is a term used in the UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. It comes from the outside of the rear leg of cattle and sits between the knuckle and the topside. It’s named after the silver wall of connective tissue that sits on the side of the cut, removed before cooking. Because this cut comes from well-exercised muscles, it needs the gentle moist cooking method of corning. The resulting texture melts off the fork. For best results, carve it fat side up, across the grain to ensure maximum tenderness.
The traditional way of cooking this cut of meat is to add vinegar for acidity, a bay leaf to enhance flavour, sometimes a bit of lemon.
How it Cooks
Like most meat, Silverside cooks well when slow-cooked. As a result, this gives the best tender and moist result in texture and flavour.
Even more, this recipe only has 2 ingredients! Therefore, this makes prepping and cooking the silverside so much less time-consuming. It doesn’t need to be watched while cooking and still results in great tender meat!
- Place the cut of silverside into a slow cooker and pour over a 1.25lt or 2lt bottle of lemonade.
- Then we cook it on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours!
- Let it rest for 5 minutes before carving and serving.
Subsequently, once cooked and cooled, silverside can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. Alternatively, it can also be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Slow Cooker
- Piece of Silverside
- 1.25 Lt Lemonade
- 15 Cabbage Leaves Blanched
- Place silverside piece into the slow cooker pot, pour lemonade over the meat, cover and cook for 8 hours on low
- Remove meat from slow cooker and onto a chopping board and rest for 10 mins before slicing in 1-2cm thick pieces
- Grab a cabbage leaf and lay flat. Place a slice of silverside in the centre of the leaf, fold the bottom up and the sides inwards then sit the parcel seam down
- Arrange 3 per plate and serve