Cherry nougat is my family recipe. It’s easy to make making it great to get the kids involved! Also, it can be gifted or just shared around for a sweet treat.
Origin Of Cherry Nougat
Many legends exist around nougat’s origins. The early recipes of white nougat, probably borrowed from Central Asia, were found in a Middle Eastern book in Baghdad in the 10th century.
There are three basic kinds of nougat. The first, and most common, is white nougat (mandorlato or torrone in Italy, turrón in Spain), made with beaten egg whites and honey; it appeared in Cologna Veneta, Italy, in the early 15th century, in Alicante, Spain with the first published recipe in the 16th century, and in Montélimar, France, in the 18th century. The second is brown nougat (nougat noir in French, literally ‘black nougat’), which is made without egg whites and has a firmer, often crunchy texture. The third is the Viennese or German nougat which is essentially a chocolate and nut (usually hazelnut) praline. In southern Europe, nougat is prominent to Christmas meals.
Our Cherry Nougat Recipe
- 2/3 cup Glace Cherries Chopped (65g)
- 3/4 cup Powdered Milk
- 1/4 cup Condensed Milk
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Icing Sugar
- 2/3 cup Raspberry Lollies Chopped (instead of cherries)
- Combine condensed milk, vanilla essence and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in powdered milk and cherries with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Turn mixture onto a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar.
- Knead until smooth and divide mixture in half.
- Roll each half between your palms into a rope 5cm thick.
- Dust with extra icing sugar and refrigerate until firm.
- When firm cut into 5cm pieces.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
FODMAP – Same as dairy-free
KETO – Use granulated sweetener and coconut condensed milk
DAIRY-FREE – Use coconut condensed milk and coconut milk powder
GLUTEN-FREE – It’s already gluten-free!
Have More Ideas?
Do you have more ideas? Have you tried our recipe and loved it? Leave us a comment on your inspiration and results. We love hearing from you!